February 18, 2020
How to Apply for Iceland Schengen Visa from Australia
Iceland, a country rich with colorful culture and close to nature, is 1 of the 26 Schengen countries. If you’re thinking of a vacation destination, then Iceland would make a great choice. It’s such a beautiful country with amazing landscapes; from volcanoes, glaciers, magnificent waterfalls, steaming hot springs, geysers to a large glaring-white icecap. It’s just the perfect destination for outdoor adventurers and nature lovers.
In this article, we’re going to be explaining how to apply for an Iceland visa from Australia. This includes how to book for visa appointment, the Iceland visa application process at the Australian visa offices, the processing time at the visa application center, Iceland visa flight itinerary, hotel bookings, and Schengen travel insurance for an Iceland visa application.
Statistics reveal that consulates and embassies around the world received a total of 9,334 Iceland Schengen visa applications in 2018 alone. Out of this number, 156 were rejected. There was no specific data as to the number of Iceland visas applications received and rejected in Australia.
Iceland Schengen Visa Application from Australia
You don’t need any visa to visit Iceland if you were born in Australia. However, individuals who were born in another country but have permanent residence in Australia will need to apply for an Iceland Schengen visa before they’re allowed to visit Iceland.
Except for applicants from Canberra, other applicants can get their Iceland Schengen visa from the Danish Consulate General in Sydney. Check out the VFS Global for Denmark for more details.
Those in Canberra must submit their applications to the Royal Norwegian Embassy. More details on VFS Global for Norway.
The final decision on whether your visa will be denied or approved will be made by the Royal Norwegian Embassy and Danish Embassy in Bangkok. You should submit your visa application to any of the following VFS Global offices in Australia where: Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Canberra and Sydney.
Royal Norwegian Embassy in Canberra and Danish Consulate General in Sydney offers 3 types of Schengen visas namely;
1. National visa: 90 days visa for employment, studies or family reasons.
2. Schengen visa: 90 days visa for business, tourism or visiting family and friends.
3. Airport transit visa: This visa is for individuals connecting through a Schengen country airport.
Applying for a Schengen Visa from VSF Global
Consulates and embassies take approximately 15 days to process visa applications. The 15 days starts counting from the day they receive your visa application from VFS Global. It’s recommended to submit your visa application with VFS Global 3 -4 weeks before your scheduled travel to Iceland.
5 Steps to take when applying for your Iceland Schengen visa
Step 1: Start your visa application
For residents of Australia;
Visit the website of VFS Global for Denmark and click on: “How to Apply”.
As soon as the page opens, scroll down and click “Step 3 – Apply and pay online”. The page takes you to the online application form, “ApplyVisa”. Read the instructions carefully, and then click the bottom link to register and create your new account.
After you complete your registration and make payment, print out the cover letter. You’ll submit that along with other necessary documents.
For residents of Canberra;
Visit the website of VFS Global for Norway, and click on: “How to Apply”.
On the next page, locate “Step 1” and click on “Apply now”. You’ll be taken to the online application form. Every other step is self-explanatory. Follow it to complete your application.
Step 2: Book an appointment
It’s free to book an appointment with the embassy, and it’s free. Nevertheless, if you’re busy or lost on how to go about the whole process or don’t know which consulate to apply to, don’t worry! We can help you book an appointment with the visa application center for a small fee. Fair enough?
Our visa booking service is pretty straightforward. Just the below steps:
1. Visit this link to book a visa appointment.
2. Send us your appointment details, the type of visa needed, the country of visit, consulate you need for the appointment, and make payment.
3. Get appointment via email – it’s as simple as that.
Want to book the appointment on your own? It’s easy. Visit the website of VFS Global and click on “Schedule and appointment”, then follow the stipulated steps to book an appointment.
Step 3: Get your documents ready
The website of the intended visa office will provide you with a list of the necessary documents. Ensure you take a moment to understand all the needed documents before you proceed. It’s important! You don’t want to submit a wrong document, do you? Make sure to have photocopies too.
Documents needed include:
1. Visa application form
2. Your passport photograph
3. Cover letter (if required)
4. Valid travel medical insurance – this covers urgent medical attention or death and repatriation for medical reasons. Minimum coverage should be EUR 30,000.
5. Passport/travel documents that’s valid for at least 3 months minimum after your departure from the Schengen region. The passport should be issued within the last 10 years and have at least 2 blank pages.
6. Proof of finance – Bank statements for the last 3 months.
7. Hotel reservation to iceland - We proudly help many people to create hotels for their visa.
8. Flight Itinerary for Iceland - With our sophisticated tool you can do this in no time.
8. Proof of employment – Letter from your employer or your payslips. If you’re traveling for education purposes, then a confirmation letter from the university.
9. Proof of residential address – Copy of utility bill, driver’s license or any document stating your address.
10. Marriage certificate or registered partnership
11. Re-entry permit for Australia valid for 3 months minimum after your departure.
12. Letter of invitation - This applies when an individual or company is inviting you to Iceland.
Step 4: Attend your appointment
A lot of people worry about their visa appointment, but you shouldn’t really. Just arrive on time, dress smartly and have all your documents ready. The visa officer may ask you a few questions regarding the information you provided in your application form. Just be honest with your answers and you’d be good.
Typical questions include:
• Why did you choose to visit Iceland?
• Do you know anything about Iceland?
• How long are you staying?
• Are you traveling with someone else?
• What do you do in Australia?
But! You don’t want to mess things up at the interview, do you? So use this detailed visa interview guide to put yourself ahead of the pack.
Step 5: Get your visa
You can use the VFS Global website to track your visa application after submission. Go to the website, and click on “Track your application”, and enter your date of birth and reference number. Once decision has been reached about your visa, you’ll receive your passport from VFS Global.
It will either be approved (the visa will be inside your passport) or denied.
You can always appeal the denial decision, but common reasons for rejection include:
• You didn’t provide an invitation letter when being invited someone.
• Your passport expires in a month
• Your purpose of visit in not clear
• Your travel insurance only covers Iceland – the insurance should cover all Schengen countries.
VFS Global contact in Australia
Contact Centre: +61 2 8278 4527
Contact Centre Hours of Operation: 9:00am to 5:00pm AEST
Visa application centers:
• ADELAIDE - Level 4, 90 King William Street, Adelaide, South Australia – 5000
• SYDNEY - Suite 9.03, Level 9, 139 Macquarie Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
• PERTH - Suite 330, 267 St Georges Terrace, Level 3, Perth WA 6000
• MELBOURNE - Suite 3, level 13, 55 Swanston Street, Melbourne, Victoria – 3000
• CANBERRA - Level 4, 10 Hobart Place, Canberra, ACT 2601
• BRISBANE - Level 8, 87 Wickham Terrace, Spring Hill, Queensland 4004
In summary, the steps for applying for an Iceland Schengen visa from Australia include:
1. Start your application
2. Book an appointment
3. Get your documents ready
4. Attend your appointment
5. Get your visa
Nothing else for you to do once you get to step 5. Just relax, and wait for the date of your trip or appeal the rejection decision (if visa is denied).
At Trixo, we make sure to keep the visa application process simple by ensuring you’ve all the information and help you need to get the application process right. We offer free visa consultations, no objection letter templates and cover letter templates for travelers from UK, UAE, US, Canada, Europe, Nigeria, China, India, Philippines and all over the world. We can also help you with hotel reservations, visa interview guides, travel medical insurance, flight itinerary, book visa appointments, travel guides and a lot more!
Contact us NOW to learn more about how we can help you with our visa services.